Are Your Office Chairs and Monitors Ergonomically Set Up?
January 25, 2018
Commercial Grade Furniture
Ergonomics are important in the workplace. Most workers spend the majority of their days sitting at computers. Improper posture and equipment positioning can lead to physical injuries. Ergonomics and some other small office adjustments can help prevent damages caused by improper posture and poor equipment placement.
What Are Ergonomics?
Ergonomics is the study of worker productivity, health, and efficiency. Individuals who specialize in ergonomics analyze work environments to see how things can be improved for employee health and efficiency.
How You Should Sit in a Chair
People who sit all day must understand how to sit in a chair to prevent injuries. Here are some tips to help:
- Sit as far back in your chair as possible
- Remove the armrests if they make you uncomfortable
- Keep armrests at a level that allows your shoulders to relax
- Make sure your back is supported
- Keep the back of your chair at a 100° reclined angle
- Adjust the seat to make sure your feet rest flat on the floor
- Your knees should be slightly lower than or even with your hips
If you are concerned about your offices equipment, contact us today for information on how we can help with your ergonomic equipment needs.
Keyboard positioning is crucial to preventing injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome. A few tips to properly situate your keyboard and use it comfortably include:
- Making sure the keyboard is directly in front of you
- Placing the keyboard at a height that allows your shoulders to relax
- Pulling your chair close to the keyboard
- Keeping your elbows open slightly
- Keeping your wrists and hands straight
How to Position Your Other Equipment
The position of your other equipment is just as important as your chair and keyboard position. Here’s some advice on setting up your workstation to prevent injury:
- Keep your mouse close to your keyboard.
- Set your phone within reach.
- Place the screen an arm’s length away and a few inches above your eye level.
- Arrange the screen directly in front of you and in line with your keyboard.
Ergonomic office chairs can be rented or purchased. If you’re interested in ergonomic chairs for your office and would like more information about how Douron can help, contact us today.